A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Skills + 1UP 2kcbwday2


Looking back over the past year I realize I have not knitted as much as I would have liked to or as much as I did the year before.  My interests have always waxed and waned, Ive been this way forever.  The one good thing is, I always go back to something once I've taken a break, I've never given up completely on a hobby I love.  And I do love knitting.  It is addictive.  Truly.


I have many projects queued in Ravelry, a binder full of printed patterns, and more books than I can count but it all sat there looking at me while I did none of it.  


Then one day during winter break I had this desire to pick up those needles again and I made this:


  

It's still not done because I fear the Kitchener stitch (you can read more about that here).  I know I will get this done and face my fears, but I'm still working up the courage!  When I look at this wee little sweater I feel such pride, and it's funny because some of the people I follow or view on Ravelry are making the most amazing things and I'm sure they do not feel the fear I do while making them!!


This year I plan to face my fears.  I'm going to tackle the projects I've had piling up and give them a go.  


I just recently made these: 
and believe me I was scared to make them.  I had them on my to do list for more than a year.  
But here they are!  I made them.  Did they come out perfect??  No they did not.  But honestly I'm OK with that.  I know how to make them now.  And when I make them again, and I will, they will come out much better.  You can read my notes about these little booties on Raverly - user name shellber.


Although I have been knitting for almost three years I still consider myself a beginner.  Not knitting for almost an entire year obviously did not help my skill level increase, but this year things will be different.  I am going to knit  my tush off and tackle those projects that make me shake in my boots.


This year I want to learn how to: 
  • knit a piece of clothing, for someone bigger than a 6 month old  
  • I would like to make a pair of mittens 
  • finally learn how to knit on double pointed needles
  • make socks!
  • make a cowl
  • knit a toy 
  • I would love to make Elizabeth Zimmerman's Baby Surprise Sweater.  I think this is the one project I have been longing to make for years.  Maybe this will be the year??
I made a similar list in 2009 when I did a group of posts called My Knitting Diary.  I'll add those projects to my list for this year.


And finally I would like to learn how to crochet.  I was hoping to increase my skills in knitting before I moved on to crocheting.  However, I think I'll give myself another year of knitting before I try to learn a new skill.   The one great thing about learning to crochet is my mommy can teach me!  I'm more of a visual learner so having a person and not a book teach me something works so much better for my brain.  


All this kitting talk makes me want to start working on a project.  I'm off.  See you tomorrow for: Tidy Mind, Tidy Stitches

4 comments:

  1. Your knitting looks very good, and the booties are adorable - and it's the imperfections that make a handmade item truly unique! Happy knitting (and crocheting)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, the kitchener stitch is scary stuff! I probably need to give it another try sometime, but I almost always cheat and do a three needle bind off. It's not as neat looking, but there are no tears that way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know. It really is scary! I found a great youtube video, so I'm going to give it a try. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Francesca, Thank you, They are really super cute and I'm glad I made them, looking forward to making another pair.

    ReplyDelete