A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

Monday, March 28, 2011

Knitting and Crochet Blog Week: A Tale of Two Yarns 2KCBWDAY1


For the next seven days I will be participating in - yes you guessed it, Knitting and Crochet Week via Eskimimiknits.com.


Today's topic is to discuss two yarns.  One you love, covet, or one you loathed working with.  Really anything about two yarns.


So here we go!


My most favorite yarn has to be the Baby Alpaca I recently worked with.  If one can describe yarn as Dee-licious this would be the one.  Soft, soft, soft.  Now you must know this is not saying much because I am sure there are many more beautiful and soft as silk yarns out there but my budget has never allowed for anything more than this.  And this particular skein was half price because it was the last one and missing it's label. (the reason I can't give you the brand name of the yarn, although I believe it is Plymouth, and why I was able to purchase it)




I finished this hat last night using the baby alpaca.  A simple beanie knit in the round.  Looking forward to wearing it next winter!

I'm not very picky about the yarn I choose and that may be because I often make things for the small people in my life and don't want to spend a fortune on yarn that will be peed, pooped, and puked on.  Sorry for being so gross, but it's true!  So most of my purchases are from the big name box stores.

I probably would buy better quality yarn if there were more yarn stores closer to my home, but the few that are around are too far a drive for my lazy butt.  When I want to make something I feel requires a better yarn or even just more to choose from than I can find at said box stores, I have to plan a "mini trip" to get there and this doesn't happen too often.  Have I mentioned I'm lazy??  

As you can probably imagine when purchasing yarn you can get for 40% off on most days, you are bound to come across something you loath.  This happened to me when I first started knitting.  It was all so new to me and I thought every yarn was awesome.  I hadn't had enough experience to know that some of it is purely not worth the money or effort.

So that takes me to this yarn:


(I made this hat for my God Daughter but my son is modelling it.  Hopefully he won't hate me for making him wear pink!!)

I loath this yarn and unfortunately I bought it in every color they had in the store.  I did make this hat with it, but nothing else. What do I do with it now??  Ugh! 

Anywhoo, when I was making my choices that day I thought it was great.  It was soft and organic cotton.  Boy was I wrong.  It is the worst yarn I have used to date.  It feels weird as you work it over the needles.  I don't know if anyone gets what I mean, but it feels icky.  It also looks old and fuzzy (not in a good way) as soon as you begin working with it.  I just didn't like it.  If you are interested in knowing what yarn this is you can see the details on Ravelry, my user name is shellber.

Thankfully I have not come across yarn I have disliked as much as this one.

I guess just like anything else there's the good and there's the bad.  

Now I must get back to my knitting, I'm finally finishing up some of the projects I've had on the needles for months and months and months . . . . . . . .

Tomorrows Topic : Skill + 1 UP.  See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment