Last Saturday I took two class with Carol Wingert! If you don't know Carol's work, she creates beautiful pieces of art using traditional scrapbook items, vintage pieces from flea markets and thrift shops, as well as fabric. She even repurposes items such as old books. Her art is gorgeous. She is an amazingly talented woman and I feel honored to have had a class with her. Take a look at her blog be yourself ; live with passion to see for yourself. Carol also used to create monthly kits. You can take a look at the kits she has created in the past by clicking on the link under Creatologie on the side bar of her blog. You can now purchase the instructions for some of her kits/projects called "Workshops to Go"
My friend Danielle, whom I mentioned in this post, introduced me to Carol. Because of her I was able to take these AWE-SOME classes. Danielle and her mother-in-law Peggy both scrapbook and like to create altered pieces of art. Peggy "found" Carol on-line and began ordering her kits, and through these purchases and emails they became friends. Peggy invited Carol to teach a class at a local scrapbook store where they met for the first time in person some years ago. Because Peggy works in the industry (teaching classes) she is able to attend the CHA Conference and there she met up with Carol again and their friendship blossomed from there. Carol has traveled all the way from Arizona to New England on several occasions to teach classes at Peggy's house! And I was lucky enough to attend one! Thank you Danielle and Peggy!!
So here we go:
The first class was called "Notions Box and Book" we repurposed cigar boxes using paint, scrapbook paper, vintage trims and ribbons. We made a pin cushion and a hand bound book to place inside. Take a look at the pictures below because I could go on and on and probably bore some of you to death with all the details. (You can also see more detailed pictures of this project on Carol's blog.)
Cigar box before
After I painted it
Carol giving us a quick look at a bonus project she included.
One of my bestest friends Michelle, who came with us
After adding beautiful paper to the box.
The cover of the hand bound book which sits inside the box
Carol walking around to give help to the "students" that's Peggy with the black apron on
A picture of the top of the box
The spools are hand made from chipboard and paper
Here is the second class we had that day called "You and Me"
The cover of a repurposed book
The papers were completely removed so all was left was the front and back cover and spine
On the left side we created a pocket with beautiful paper, copper paint and embellishments such as beads and a metal clock
On the right side we made pages using chipboard, paint, paper, rubber stamps and embellishments
More pages (from Carol's example)
More of the inside
Danielle (on the left), who invited me and Michelle, and her friend Sheila (on the right)
creating the day away!
The four of us who came together
Here we are with Carol and Peggy
I had the best time and wish I could go to more of her classes and workshops, but that would involve taking trips to Arizona. . . . well maybe that wouldn't be such a bad idea after all?!?!?!
shelley
ReplyDeletewhat a great post! i love reading it and i loved having you!
hugs and more
peggy
why wasn't I invited???
ReplyDelete