My garden is a bust. Not to be so dramatic but I'm completely heart broken, disappointed, and disgusted. Besides the excitement of having this new large garden and dreams of delicious veggies and herbs to eat all summer and fall, it's also the time I've put into it, and the money.
Friends, nothing is growing, everything is getting eaten by pests or not growing any larger than when I placed it there weeks ago.
This basil plant once large, and beautiful, and delicious was eaten in less then three days by Japanese beetles I think? I went out early, I went out late, but never once have I caught whatever is eating everything. It is not an animal, it's insects, that I know for sure.
This morning I went out to have a look and something chomped each, just beginning to form, bell pepper right off the plant. Honestly I want to pull everything out and throw it away. One of my tomato plants I've already pulled out and threw in the garbage, there was no hope for it. It all feels like a waste. I could cry.
I don't know what to do. Take it all out use the safest insecticide I can find and plant for the fall instead? I've tried many of the organic safe ideas I've seen on-line, cayenne pepper around the base of the plants, soapy water, etc. Nothing is working!
I'll have to do some reading, research, talk to experienced gardeners, etc. Any suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated.
Besides these cucumber plants...
I'm so sad.......
disappointing =(
ReplyDeleteOh, hon, I feel your pain. And this constantly wet and then excessively hot weather (next week, almost all in the 90s) doesn't help. Would it help to say we're in much the same boat? Something is eating the kale to stubs and only the green beans are sorta thinking of growing. And my basil mostly dried to rot. But the weeds in the flowerbeds are loving it! Focus on your puppy and on your chickens and give up the garden for now perhaps. You can't do everything.
ReplyDeleteYup, mine isn't going well this year either. We'll have tomatoes and herbs, but that may be about it. I keep thinking I'll get out and work, but with bouncing all over the country these next few weeks it's majorly unlikely. Oh well, tomatoes are good!
ReplyDeleteGosh Shelley, I'm so sorry! Don't know what to tell you! Sounds like the work of a bunny maybe Peter Rabbit!! Not to mock you, but I don't have much with growing things other then in a pot on my deck!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry, that's a bummer!! :( I only planted a few tomato plants and so far 'something' ate 3 of my tomatoes. It's very frustrating.
ReplyDelete