A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee
A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee
Monday, July 15, 2013
Making Fudge
Making fudge is/was on our Summer To Do list. A wanted to make fudge for dessert for our Fourth of July picnic. The one she chose comes from this Hershey's cookbook; Fudge Caramels. Sadly it did not become fudge but stayed in more of a pudding consistency. Pudding it is! We ate it as such and it was delicious.
I think sometimes old recipes can be confusing. This one says to cook stirring frequently until mixture forms a ball in cold water (254 F). OK, does that mean I pour the water into the pan? Take a small amount out and drop into water and see if it forms a ball (which is what we did)? Should I have had a candy thermometer?? All I know is we weren't sure exactly what that meant and obviously did not do it right, because fudge it was not.
I don't think we can check this one off our list just yet, since it was a fudge fail. I did a little perusing on-line and found this Can't Fail Fudge recipe. We'll give this one a try soon and hopefully this time we'll have real fudge! It does say Can't Fail.......
If you are interested here is the recipe for Fudge Caramels::
2/3 cupful Hershey's cocoa
2 cupfuls granulated sugar
1 cupful light corn syrup
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cupful evaporated milk
1/2 cupful water
1/4 cupful butter
1 teaspoonful vanilla
Combine cocoa, sugar, corn syrup, and salt in a heavy saucepan. Add evaporated milk and water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring frequently, until mixture forms a firm ball in cold water (245 F). Remove from fire; drop in butter and vanilla, stirring to completely blend butter. Pour into buttered 9 inch square pan. Cool. Cut into squares (scissors are helpful) and wrap in wax paper.
Yield: about 6 dozen caramels.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment