A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Our Summer Bucket List

In years past, before the summer break began, we've always made some sort of list or plan for the summer.  Last year we played it by ear and did things on the fly.  This year I thought maybe it would be fun to get back to making real plans, thinking about what we'd like to do, putting it down on paper.

My children are getting older and it pains me that they are not quite "into" crafts and being as creative as they used to be.  Now its more about sports and friends and social media.  This, my friends pains me.  If only they would still get excited about play dough and paint sets....

As I read my favorite blogs, many of which still have very young kids, I feel a jealous pull towards their children's innocence and the fun they are having creating, painting, molding and building fairy houses. 

Where has the time gone?  Honestly, I don't know what to do with 10 and 11 year old children.  They are from a different planet!  C is only 6 but he is greatly influenced by his older siblings, and their friends, and I'm afraid I've lost him along the way.  He wants to play sports (and there is nothing wrong with that. I love how athletic he is!), play video games and joke about butts and farts.  Sometimes I'm at a loss.  I'm a better mother than that!  J never once talked about body parts and gas!  Where did this child come from?????  How can they be so different?  

C's desire to be a big kid has taken aways these last years I thought I still had to pull out those paints and clay and crayons.  Is this normal for a third child?

So I thought, maybe if we created a list, I might get an idea of what they do want to do and be surprised???  Maybe, just maybe they still want to be kids?  Maybe, just maybe, C is still a real 6 year old under all that potty humor?????

I threw out some ideas and showed them Jamie's list.  A got really into it.  The boys not so much.  A was greatly influenced by Jamie's activities and I'm glad because now we have a great list of things to accomplish this summer.  As we begin to check off the activities I'll get an idea of where my boys are when it comes to such things.



Summer Fun to do List 2013::

  • Make fudge
  • visit a museum
  • build fairy houses
  • go see a movie
  • make stepping stones
  • make flower jars (I have to still find out what she means by this?)
  • make homemade marshmallows
  • play with water balloons
  • go camping
  • host a sleepover
  • tie-dye shirts
  • sell lemonade
  • go to the beach
  • make an indoor tent and watch a movie on a rainy day
  • go on a hike
  • go to the farmers market
  • go bowling
  • go to the zoo
  • make root beer floats
  • make banana splits
  • make a family poster 
  • visit the library weekly
and three squares remain to add to the list if we're inspired to even more!  


No comments:

Post a Comment