A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Garden Work, Plans, and Time

I realized today as I was walking Baby Bee along the trail on this beautiful Spring day, that not only have I not blogged, but I also never gave an update to the end of Spring Break!  I guess it's because we didn't do anything exciting to share other than spend time at home with each other and lots and lots of yard work.  I'm beginning to think we may have made too many plans for the outside this year.  The excitement is beginning to feel a little overwhelming.  

The ideas were brewing all Fall and Winter.  The Husband and I getting more and more excited about each.  Some are his "babies" and some are mine.

I wanted chickens and bees and more garden beds (as  you know) and a compost bin made from pallets (half built).  The husband wanted to grow hops and build a trellis for them to grow on. 


Hop Plants


He wanted to mulch again where I was OK not doing it unless we hired someone to spread it out.  The space we mulch is too HUGE for one person to mulch on their own, but he insisted on doing it.  It's labor intensive and takes days.  

(and this is only a small part of it!) 

It looks great but I think it's time for us to begin planting some low growers and spreaders to fill in some of the space and I think it will look nice too. The both of us don't know where to start and it's on the back burner for this year when we have chickens to tend to, a fence to build around the garden beds, bees to check on every few weeks, and a hop trellis which is going to be huge and made from many pieces one would build a chain link fence with (hops get heavy and need the support).  Whew, I'm exhausted just writing about it.

With only weekends to get most of this done, we're a little behind and my beautiful plants I grew from seeds (Which I planted too early.  Another lesson learned) are not doing well.  Every time I look at them I'm close to tears.  

We're trying to do one huge thing a weekend.  This weekend (Sunday hopefully) we'll start building the fence around the beds. 

(and obviously we might want to start working on the lawn, eek embarrassing)

However, it is Orthodox Easter so there is a little bit of guilt about that.  Thankfully our plans to see family is at dinner time.  So we have after church and before dinner.  Don't know how much we'll get done but I'm thankful for a start.  Those poor plants need to get outdoors!  If there weren't so many I would carry them all outside each day and bring them in at night.  I also thought of building a cold frame but when I started talking about going to the store to get this that and the other things to build it, The Husband immediately said "I'll start building the fence this weekend".  Hmm, I'm thinking he doesn't want me to spend any more money?????  

Those chicks of ours are no longer cute little fuzz balls, but gangly not so cute tweens.  The coop is in but we have to move the swing set 


before they can deliver it here.  Yet another "job" that must be done.  Ugh...  Not sure when we'll get to that. Maybe next weekend so we can move these girls outside.




I'm helping in every way that I can but so much of the work needs muscles and I am a weakling.  This has nothing to do with my laziness this is purely the fact that I have no strength in my upper body.  None.   

I have faith it will all get done.  Eventually....  I just hope it's before my plants die and the chickens end up living in the house!!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Shelley....Exciting stuff going on at your house :) It really is overwhelming when weekends are the only time you can really get big things done. I feel the same way. Does your H want to make his own beer? Is that what the hops are for? That's so cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lil,
      Yes he does make his own beer. He has for about 18 years now. Since we're growing so many things this year he thought he'd try to grow hops. They wont be ready for 2 years or so.

      Delete
  2. You know, I've never done it, but I hear that you can plant hops as a ground cover?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm interesting, we did not know that. I'll let him know. May make things easier for us...

      Delete
  3. that post made me tired!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, so much going on! But you'll reap the rewards soon enough.

    ReplyDelete