A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Good-Bye for Now

I've noticed some changes at home.  Changes that I realize need my attention.  The kids need me. It's not as though I have ignored them or have stopped parenting, but I think they need me just a little more then usual right now.  I also realize the amount of time I spend on my computer is not beneficial to anyone.  Not them and not me.  

I need to shut down, maybe entirely?  I need to be more attentive with the kids, my home, myself.  I need to stop looking for things to do on-line and start actually doing something like maybe finally taking down the wallpaper in my kitchen!  I think I spend half my day looking for projects and decorating ideas, pinning scrapbook pages, recipes, knitting patterns,  plants, etc.  However, I never make a scrapbook page, or knit a scarf, or even make it to a store to find that houseplant I really want.  And then the same thing happens again the next day and the next.  

I believe this has been a long time coming.  It was only  a few weeks ago when I deleted some of my boards on Pinterest and more then half the blogs I was reading everyday.  I need to clear my head before I can be a better mom, wife, daughter, sister, friend.  I need to be more mindful of whats right here in front of me and not "out there" in a "wish I could", "wish I had" world.   

Making the decision to be off-line, as much as I have, has not been easy.  I love looking for things that interest me and acquiring new knowledge.  It's so easy to do when it's right there at your finger tips!  I guess I'm going to have to use the library more, talk with people who have the same interests and just get out there and do whatever it is I want to do.  And most importantly, be more attentive to my family.

So I'm sure you may have guessed that means I will also be "shutting down" my blog for the time being.  I think if the blog still feels important to me in January I'll be back for the new year.  But for now I'm off to write down on paper, I know crazy talk right? A list of some fun things to do with the kids this month and set up their advent calendar so it's ready for December 1st.  I have plans for two more raised garden beds and I'm back to thinking about getting some chickens.  I want to learn to sew clothes.  I want to scrapbook more often like I used to.  All of which can be done without the help of the internet. 

That being said, I want to wish all of you a very special Holiday Season!!



P.S. I'll still be checking email (3x a day, morning, noon, and evening)  Although I'd like to give that up too, I can not because it's my main communication with The Husband when he is away on business trips or at work, my Girl Scout troop, and the kids school.  


4 comments:

  1. Good for you for taking a step back and recognizing that you need it. Have a merry December!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelley, I will miss your thoughtful posts. I think you are too hard on yourself! But, I understand the need to "unplug!" Good luck .... xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm glad I got to know you IRL, as they say, via the computer. And I'm looking forward to seeing in person later this week. I enjoy your blog and pins but understand the desire to simplify and unplug.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand and feel the same but I'll be here when you get back. and IRL

    ReplyDelete