A recently completed her 3rd grade biography project researching Anne Sullivan. She put together a tri-fold board with facts and pictures. She also read her report in front of an audience of her classmates and their parents just as J did last year.
One of the requirements is to dress in the outfit, costume etc. of your person. Some are much easier than others such as J's, a baseball player. Easy enough to get baseball gear. However, A had to dress in the clothes of a woman from the late 1800's, early 1900's. Not any easy task, let me tell you! We referenced pictures of Anne on the Internet. Using what we found online, we put together what you see here. I know her costume is not historically accurate but I do believe it looks great. I made the skirt (which went to the top of her feet) and the only white shirt we could find it the one she is wearing. A long sleeved shirt would have been what Anne would have worn. As a final touch, we added the cameo. I think the cameo made the outfit. It makes it feel more authentic to me.
We were surprised that morning when she came up to the microphone with "Helen Keller". It was a secret! Super cute and very accurate. Did you know that Anne stayed with Helen until she died? They bought a home together and when Anne married, she made sure Helen would stay with them! Every time A practiced at home and read her report I would get the chills because of the friendship and dedication these two women had for each other.
A did an amazing job. She was poised, made eye contact, read perfectly (no stumbling over words. She had trouble with famine and Massachusetts when practicing at home. Saying "fam" "ine" and Massachushits. Yup, she said it. I helped her by telling her every time she had to say Massachusetts to think of the word zits. HAHA, it worked!), and she finished with a smile on her face!
Proud parent, I am, I am!


Yay! Job well done. Congrats to her! And she does look the part.
ReplyDeleteshe's come a long way! she looks great
ReplyDelete