A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

Thursday, June 7, 2012

My Heart is Heavy

Last night my sweet boy came down stairs crying after having gone to bed for the night.  He was sad because a boy in his class called him a "wimp" for reading the 39 Clues Books.  My heart completely broke.  The Husband and I kept it together knowing that keeping our cool is the best thing to do in any negative situation with the kids.  We talked with him, asking him if he enjoyed the books, did he want to keep reading them, what did he say to this child etc.  He said he really likes the books and that he would continue to read them and that he said and did nothing to the other child.  For all of these reasons I am proud of him.  Yes he was hurt, but he wasn't going to let this stop him from reading the books, and he was not confrontational.  He's such a  good kid!  I hate when my children are hurt by other kids.  I know kids can be mean, I've seen it first hand, however there is no excuse for it.  I often wonder what makes a child mean?  What makes a child so angry they feel the need to hurt others?  Why?  Of course I can be logical and say this may be why, the parents fight all the time, they are getting divorced, maybe they are getting abused, etc.  But why is it some kids going through some of the above are still kind and good natured?  I guess I'll never understand.  But I do know that I will fight for my children till the day I die.  I will never allow my children to be hurt to the point it damages them physically or mentally, if I can help it!  Of course I'm not going to go all crazy with the school over this incident, it is small and one of those things kids do, but if this goes any further I will not tolerate it.  That I know for sure.  I did contact the teacher to make her aware and we asked her to not confront the children about it but to please keep an eye and ear open for any other problems that may occur.  She agreed and understood where we are coming from and will keep us posted.  Good teachers are a blessing.  


Some days home schooling looks pretty good to me..........

8 comments:

  1. Those books sound awesome . . . as does your discussion and handling of the situation. I checked the link about the books specifically because "wimp" is usually a code for gay and I wondered what the books were about (were they "girl" books?). I am so sorry y'all had to go through this. I hope it's the end of it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jamie. They do look like pretty cool books, I'll probably read them myself. I'm not positive, but I think there is both a boy and girl main character so I would guess they are geared toward both sexes. Although it shouldn't matter, however I notice my kids tend to read books with main characters of the same sex they are. Interesting....

      Delete
  2. What a tough situation, but it sounds like you're handling it well. It says something good about your parenting that your son brought this to you and trusted you not to under or over react. Hang in there mama bear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Meryl for your kind words.

      Delete
  3. :( I'm sorry your son had to go through that. Kids can be so mean....I'm glad to hear that you son will keep reading the books though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you tell him that I have read ALL of them!? AND I am 40 (almost) and NOT a wimp (well sometimes, but it has nothing to do with reading.) The books are geared for boys and girls. And, I especially like the relationship that grows between the brother and sister. I think they are fantastic ... mysteries, LOTS of historical information. Geeeezzzz! Hang-in there "J"

    ReplyDelete