A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

30 Day Vegan: Days 1 & 2

Day 1:  I spent part of the day reading Heather's post and visiting other vegan sites.   I was able to compile a weeks worth of recipes I'd like to try.


Here are a few:


Chickpea Burgers with Tahini Sauce
Eggplant Casserole
Red Bell Pepper and Olive Delight Sandwich
Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers


Day 2: This morning I went shopping.  I bought dried and canned beans, hummus, tahini, Ezekiel bread, and loads of fruits and veggies.  This afternoon I roasted some veggies which I'll have over rice, in some wraps, and on my pizza for dinner.


image source
I will prepare tonight, steel-cut oats for tomorrows breakfast, using this recipe from thekitchn

1 teaspoon butter or olive oil
1 cup steel-cut oats
3 cups of water
pinch of salt
1 cup of milk (optional) not an option when going vegan


1. Start this the night before you want to have the steel-cup oatmeal.  Measure out your oats.  This quantity makes 4 servings.
2. Heat the butter or olive oil in a 2 quart saucepan set over medium heat.  Add the oats and fry them for about 3 minutes, or until they start smelling toasty.
3. Pour in the water and add the salt. Stir.
4. Bring to a rolling boil.
5. Turn off the heat and cover the pan.  Leave it on the stove, and go to bed!
6. The next morning, uncover the pan and bring the oatmeal back up to a simmer.  If you would like thinner and  creamer oatmeal, stir in a cup of milk before reheating.
  • Cover and refrigerate any leftovers.
  • Reheat leftover the same way!
image source

Tonight we had home made pizza's.  Traditional for the kids and for myself I omitted the cheese, placing roasted veggies and kalamata olives directly on the sauce.  Delicious!

Tomorrow for breakfast, I'll enjoy my oatmeal with some dried fruit and honey(not vegan) or maybe a banana? For lunch I'll probably have the Red Bell Pepper and Olive Delight Sandwich.  Not sure about dinner?


There are two things I will not give up during these 30 days and that is a splash of milk in my coffee in the morning and honey.  Especially the milk in my coffee.  


No way, no how!

1 comment:

  1. Your recipe choices sound so yummy! I love kalamata olives on pizza.

    ReplyDelete