- Today we took a trip to the library. J picked out a Batman Graphic Novel (which I'm not too sure about? Luckily he hasn't taken a good look at it yet so I'll look through it while he's in bed tonight) and Tiger (The Five Ancestors, Book 1) by Jeff Stone. I don't know much about them but I do know J likes things/books that use/become powerful because of the elements or animals. A chose two more Clementine books she hasn't yet read, Clementine and the Family Meeting and Clementine's Letter written by Sara Pennypacker. She also picked up Sprinkles and Secrets by Lisa Schroeder and Ellie McDoodle New Kid in School by Ruth McNally Barshaw. C picked out two Captain Underpants books (he can't yet read but enjoys the pictures and it's what his brother likes) It makes me so happy that the children enjoy reading and look forward to getting books from the library, the school book fairs, and even for gifts. (Books are one of very few things I feel no guilt about spending money on.) I can say without a doubt, as of right now, they are readers.
- After lunch A's friend (also a neighbor) came over to play. They included the boys in their games playing Harry Potter (outside) for an hour or so and than the boys went to do something else and the girls played school in the playroom. I sat on the deck in the warm and wonderful sun listening to music on Pandora Radio and looked through the books I picked up at the Library; Easy Growing by Gayla Trail (from YouGrowGirl.com), Simple Modern Sewing by Shufu To Seikatsu Sha. My dream is to sew my own clothes but lets be honest shall we, it's not going to happen. I'm just not that good. And The Fundamental Techniques of Classic Bread Baking from The French Culinary Institute. I haven't baked a bread in a month or two, I'd like to get back into baking a loaf for the week. I may not be able to sew clothes but I can make bread!
- Purchased a new book today from NAEYC. Looking forward to it's arrival.
- Each day I receive an email with a snippet about the early Childhood Field from Child Care Exchange. Today's was about environments. Because I thought a lot about it today I wanted to share it and hear your opinions. Here is the snippet:
The new trend in aesthetic codes focuses on beautifully designed environments that are harmonious with children’s beauty. In such environments, neutral colors are used on the walls and floors, the furniture is made of natural materials, and the beauty of nature is infused into the room. Instead of bold and bright colors generating from the furnishings or wall decorations, the new code brings color into the space through the simple beauty of children’s paintings, weavings, drawings, or sculptures.
"Breaking the traditional aesthetic code requires de-cluttering the walls, removing commercially-produced materials, and placing children’s framed creative expressions, as well as thoughtfully chosen masterpieces, such as Monet or Rembrandt throughout the classroom. By doing so, teachers can break down the walls of the antiquated aesthetic code and begin to create new codes that honor children’s work and create beautiful spaces."
- I agree completely. The environment should be natural, clean, and simple. All "decorations" should be those made by the children. I believe less is more. Have you ever walked into a classroom, preschool room, day care center that had so much "stuff" every where your mind begans to spin? Imagine what it does to children??? What are your thoughts?
- The Husband will be out late for a work "happy hour"/"get together" so I was lazy and didn't make a well balanced and thought out meal (out of pure laziness). The kids had hot dogs and I had a Amy's can of Tomato Soup. Not my most shining moment in the kitchen. I guess I shouldn't mention that I also let them buy small bags of chips at the pharmacy and a bag of Combo's, (Yikes I went against all my rules today!) but it's OK once in the while, right? RIGHT?? Please tell me it's alright!
- It was another great day! But of course it was! We were home together and the day involved books!
Sounds great . . . even the bagged snacks!
ReplyDeleteHope today is as wonderful!
I love A's selections! Our book group actually read It's Raining Cupcakes by Lisa Schroder at the beginning of the year. I contacted her and she was so nice. She sent us a bunch of signed book marks. I will give you the next time I see you. As for J's choices, I sometimes cringe when buying super hero graphic novels. But, reading is reading. Plain and simple. Remember how I felt about Captain Underpants? Sounds like a great day :)
ReplyDelete