Last Saturday A and some fellow Girl Scouts went to our local nature center to create a "fairy Cottage".
They each received the base for their cottage, a piece of tree trunk or large branch, which was cut to about a one and half inch thickness. They then were able to gather their materials; beads, pine cones, shells, feathers, sticks, cork, etc. (the little baby could be made to look like a fairy or you could leave her as is)
The instructor was wonderful. She guided them but let them use their own creativity and ideas. What I especially liked was there was no "sample". I personally dislike samples for children feeling it inhibits the child's natural creative abilities, stifling what they would have done on their own and bringing on thoughts of "It has to look like that, or it's not right". Ugh. My biggest pet peeve as an educator.
And to prove my point, if only to myself, every girls looked completely different. The only similarities being the materials used.
I should have made one too.......
Oh, my! What a fantastic idea! I might see if I can do something like this over the summer? Super-cool. I know you really really really wanted to make one for your very own!
ReplyDeleteSuch a cute project! I want to make one too! :)
ReplyDelete