A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

6 Books for Foodies

I don't consider myself a bonafide foodie but I do enjoy food enough to consider myself somewhat of a foodie.  And I certainly do enjoy a good book about food.  So I was quite excited when I saw this post on Oprah.com.  Some books listed I have read and own, the others are now on my "to read/purchase list".  



Read this and have cooked from it after reading Julie and Julia.
I'm a huge fan of Julie Child.



Have taken this one out of the library several times.  A great cookbook.  
Very informative about how to cook with fresh, whole foods and how to find the best produce and ingredients.  I just love Jamie Oliver, he's a lovable scamp.
Jamie's Food Revolution Program was one I looked forward to seeing every week when it was on Friday nights. Sadly, I don't believe it airs any more. 


On my "to read" list


to read


to read


Read.  
If you have read anything from Michael Pollan 
you know how his words will change your life.


This post got me thinking;  What is my favorite book about food, my favorite cookbook?  What is missing from this list?

I know that Tender at the Bone by Ruth Reichl was one of the first books to change my entire perception of food, cooking, and books about food, so I would have to say Tender at the Bone is my favorite "food" book.  My favorite cookbook right now is  
Which I wrote about here

And I would add The Joy of Cooking to the list.  It's a classic cookbook which everyone knows about and if you happen to own an older copy you'll find some pretty interesting recipes, such as how to cook squirrel. (I happen to own an older edition) YUM, right?  Humor aside, it truly is a classic.  I feel everyone can enjoy reading and cooking from it.  I promise there are many recipes without squirrels and opossum!  

What's your favorite?

Would you add anything to the list?

Was there a particular food book that changed your views on food, eating, etc? 

Let me know.  I'd like to hear about others experiences and I always love to add to my "to read" list!


Happy reading and eating!



3 comments:

  1. Love, love, love Michael Pollen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I have loved everything I've read so far. Do you have a favorite?

      Delete
  2. Haven't read any Jamie Oliver. I'll have to check him out. I figured he was a gimmick and it would be nice to find he's not.

    I have the Molly O'Neil but haven't read it, though I usually love food writing. It was too big to heft when I was bedridden!

    Thanks for a great list.

    ReplyDelete