A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Do You Ever Get in the Mood?

To cook that is!!  Jeeze, your dirty minds!!  hee hee.


Today I was in the mood to cook.  I literally cooked the day away. And because I was so into it, I decided to use the time wisely by preparing some of our meals for the week instead of cooking all kinds of things I want to eat and then eating them and then, well, you get the picture. 


My new found favorite is this Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.  I can even remember when I purchased it.  It has to be seven or so years ago.  I bought it at a local bookstore which was closing it's doors when J was still a wee baby.  


I used it once and didn't like the meal at all.  It lacked flavor and because of that it has sat on my shelf for ages.  I recently asked my sister how she makes her spaghetti sauce and she was explaining it to me when she stopped and said "I use that cookbook you have there."  OH!  I guess I'll have to give it another try.  I made the same recipe for sauce as my sister and it was delicious.  Since then I have used it at least once a week for one of our dinners or a dessert.

Today I made:
  • Quiche with sauteed mushrooms, onion, and some chopped artichokes (put in the freezer for another week)
  • Spaghetti Sauce Italiano ( a different sauce then the first)
  • Scrambled Egg Pizza (with bacon, mushrooms, zucchini and mozzarella cheese) 
  • Brownie Pudding  (a recipe from a 1944 Better Homes and Gardens Magazine, which they included in the cookbook)
And not from the cookbook, but also made today, roasted veggies.  My new favorite.  I eat them on rice, on pita pizzas for lunch, in scrambled eggs or anything else I can think of.  LOVE roasted veggies.  So good.

I have also made:
  • Tortilla-Black Bean Casserole
  • Crunchy Catfish
  • BBQ Burgers
  • Spaghetti Sauce 
So here I am in love with a cookbook that feels new to me, even though it has sat on my shelf for the past 7 years.  I'm glad I took another chance on this one.

Do you have a go-to cookbook, a favorite?

1 comment:

  1. I have that cookbook, though not that edition! It was the one my mom always used. And I consult it before Joy of or anything else, though I can't point to many specific recipes (Swiss Steak, PB cookies, I forget what else). I like it a lot.

    And good for you cooking that much!

    ReplyDelete