A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

My New Yarn Winder

My new (to me) yarn winder!  
I bought this one for my mom some time ago and she said she didn't know how to use it. (and obviously she didn't try hard enough to figure it out!!)  She noticed I have a yarn winder on my Birthday wish list and she asked me if I would like to have hers?  Sounds good to me!  I wound a hank of yarn I purchased in Maine this past summer from The Yarn Sellar.   It's a gorgeous, soft as a baby's bottom, Baby Alpaca yarn.  

It looked like this before, (this is not the yarn I used.  I forgot to take a picture of mine before I wound it into a ball!! Duh!)  twisted and knotted.  For those of you who do not work with yarn, one can not knit, crotchet etc. when the yarn is wrapped like this.  As you work, it becomes a tangled, knotted mess.  Hence the need for a ball winder.



Here is mine now!
With this yarn I'm making an adult size beanie.  A super simple pattern knit in the round.

Here it is so far:

Since it's snowing AGAIN today.  I may be able to wear it sooner than I thought!  

Ugh!  Why is it snowing when it's Spring?!?!?!?

WHY?

4 comments:

  1. Oh, beautiful! That yarn winder sends me back to when I was little and my mom spun and wound her yarn for weaving. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Nicola. I love it to. I am so excited to have it as you know when the yarn is not in a perfect ball it gets all wonky!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love my yarn winder! One of the best Christmas presents ever. (Although, like you, I'm getting sick of the need for Winter woolens.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea that such a thing existed. My mother would love one. Thanks for the gift idea!

    Thankfully the snow that fell here melted away today, so I'm in a better mood this evening than I was when I woke up to white this morning:)

    ReplyDelete