A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Kitchen Reader: Medium Raw

This months Kitchen Reader selection is Medium Raw by Anthony Bourdain, chosen by Aileen of Pharma Foodie

Ah Anthony. . .   What can I say but that I love you.  As my good friends and husband know, Anthony, I like to call him Tony, is my #1 boyfriend.  Yes It's true I love him.  "We" fell in love in 2005 when I first laid eyes on him during an episode of No Reservations.  So that being said, there's no question I will probably love almost anything he writes.  

And Medium Raw was no exception.  

Once again he presents an insightful view of the culinary world. He writes about the changes that have taken place in the world of chefs and cooks, the restaurant business, and in his own life since writing Kitchen Confidential ten years ago.   

What I enjoyed reading the most were the little anecdotes about his daughter.   His love for her is truly touching and genuine.  I smiled the entire time he discusses how he and his wife have tricked their little girl into believing that Ronald McDonald has the cooties and it's best to never eat at his restaurants.  HA!  I wish I thought of that before I had kids!!

Oh and if you really, really like to eat meat you may not want to read chapter 9, page 97, paragraph 3 (it has scarred me for life).  I won't discuss it here for you may run screaming down the street and that will just ruin your night and I really don't want to be responsible for that.

Would I recommend this book to others?  Yes I would.  I love his writing style, his attitude, and his sense of humor.  Although if you are faint at heart this book may not be for you, for it is full of foul language and some raunchy sexual innuendos/content.  

3 comments:

  1. I haven't read either of his books but what I have seen of him, I like. I think I just may add this book to my list. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heehee, I enjoyed reading about your love for Tony. My own take on it was not quite as generous, I'm afraid. But there are some great parts of the book. I'm looking forward to your pick in April.

    I'll add a link to this post on the Kitchen Reader blog--I'm making a round-up of everyone's Bourdain posts; it will be published tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love No Reservations, but the only book I've read of his was The Nasty Bits and I didn't care for it. I was #12 zillion on the library queue so I gave up on it for this month, but perhaps I'll still take a gander another time.

    I'm curious about page 97 now, too!

    ReplyDelete