On Monday A had her 10th birthday. I set up the dining room table with gifts, flowers, cards, a huge balloon, and a cake. I was happy! I knew she would be too.
Each year I try to make their birthdays special. It's not about the presents or the flowers or if the cake is homemade or from a box. It's about showing them how much they mean to us, sharing a meal, singing happy birthday, enjoying a delicious treat. The gifts are special and tradition but not whats most important.
A was very happy with everything we did and everything she received.
It was a nice afternoon and night.
Then the next morning my bubble was burst and her birthday glow gone.
A has an itouch and in the morning she and her friends text each other, sometime they face time. Most mornings I don't mind and it's kind of cute the things they share. However, Tuesday morning I knew something was wrong. I waited till we were alone and I asked what was going on, she burst into tears. One of her classmates, and a good friend, happened to have her birthday on Tuesday and she received an iphone. A was so upset. She told me this friend will brag about it all day and that when this child brags it bothers her. I said I know that can feel annoying to you, is there a chance you feel jealous? Do you feel your gifts are not as good as an iphone? She insisted that it was the fact that this other child was going to brag all day and she would have to hear it. I gave her some advice. What more can I do?
I hate that my child feels this way. I hate that there is a sense of competition. I hate that I am that parent who wont buy my child a phone at 10 years old. I am by no means a perfect parent, but I cant help but sometimes wonder what parents are thinking? What is their thought process? Is it, I feel it's safer that my child has a phone, is it, every other kid has a phone? What is it? I know for myself that when I question something I was so sure about before, it is often because I say to myself "But I see all the other children are doing it too, have it too." etc. (the reason A has an itouch. Not something I thought was necessary but saw all her classmates had some sort of phone or itouch)
I also do not want to be so judgmental about other parents but I still wonder and sometime not in such a positive way. I know I am judged by parents because my kids go to bed early, because I have asked parents to please not let my child play certain video games, because I have questioned families who I know have guns and weapons in their house how they are kept safe from the children. Yes I have done that! These are my kids, my responsibility, the loves of my life. I will ask you if you have guns in your house. I will get to know you before my kids go to your house. OK, so I'm getting off the point of this post. That's a post for another day. Sorry about that.
Anyway, with some advice for A she came home happy and said that the other child didn't brag as much as she thought but, and I quote, "She did have to say it as loud as she could that she got a phone for her birthday during morning meeting." and if you could have seen her face you'd know how she felt about that.
This is why my bubble burst. I was riding high on my daughters happiness and then she was feeling what I can only think was inferiority and jealousy. It's painful to see her that way.
I sometimes feel I am alone in a world of trying for simplicity in a community of too much, too soon.......
I agree with you completely. I'm not very good at articulating my words via typing, but I just had a long conversation with one of my girlfriends about something similar...she felt her daughter needed to have an entire new wardrobe of clothes (she is 6 yo) because the other girls in her class dressed 'nicer/better'. We have to teach our kids that material things don't really matter. It's so hard though. Just know you are not alone.
ReplyDeletep.s. roy & i just had a discussion about how we would approach the topic of 'guns' with the parents of our kids friends. You bet I want to know if there are guns in the house! :)
Hi Lil,
DeleteI understand your friends thoughts and feeling because I"v been there myself. Isn't it unfortunate we live in such a competitive and must have more then my neighbor society. It takes a lot of willpower to stick to your beliefs. Its a hard lesson to teach but I know when they are adults these lessons will impact who they become (in the best possible way) The guns and weapons scare me so very much. And I know I'm not alone. I also know a dad (who is also a neighbor of mine and our children are friends) who asks every family he brings his children to if they have guns in the house. And I say good for him!
And it feels like that age for girls is the hardest! My little sister is getting past the worst of it (just finished her freshman year of high school), but these past few years have reminded me why I would never want to be a teenage girl again. If it's not iphones it's concert tickets or clothes or who is better friends with a boy. But I've been proud of how quickly my sister has learned that the people who brag all the time or say nasty things behind your back are not your friends. (And, if it helps, my sister wasn't allowed to have an iphone until she saved the money to buy it for herself, which was only....oh, maybe 6 months ago?)
ReplyDeleteIts so good to hear their parents like me. I'm glad your sister is getting beyond this horrible stage and good for her for earning something she wanted on her own. I too would never want to be a teenager again!!
DeleteI agree with you. I am trying to keep my two unspoiled and young for as long as i can!
ReplyDelete