This past Tuesday night my troop took a knitting class at a local spot called The Woman's Collaborative Center, where one can learn knitting, sewing, take cooking classes, etc. I took classes with the instructor Diane in the fall (remember this blanket?)
One morning during my knitting class I asked her if she would like to teach my "girls" how to knit and she said she would love to and had taught other children how to knit in after school programs and with other troops, etc.
We set a date and then it snowed, and school was cancelled. We set another date and then they rescheduled parent/teacher conferences to make up for another snow day we had, and then we rescheduled and it snowed again.
We rescheduled for this past Tuesday, and again it snowed. Sigh... Luckily this time it was a delay and not a cancellation. Diane did not cast on the stitches for the girls because she said she was positive school would be cancelled if she did. She said she swore it was an omen to cast on the stitches again. We had a good laugh and I helped her cast on for twelve girls. While I was busy casting on, she taught the girls a little about where the wool we knit with comes from and the process of getting it from the sheep to a hank of yarn. She also talked to them about other types of yarn; such as alpaca and synthetic yarns.
It was so fun! The girls made bookmarks and hot glued a flower to them. Super cute!
Diane's daughter and I also helped the girls. The next day one of my girls went home and watched a YouTube video to learn how to cast on and has already made a scarf! Another one of the girls wrote me a letter (and had A bring it home to me today) and asked me if she could come over so I could teach her more!
So it looks like I will be planning a little knitting circle here at my house for the girls who are interested.
I'm very happy the girls enjoyed it and that we have some genuine interest in continuing to knit.
P.S. I was around the same age the girls are when my Memere taught me.
P.S.S I'll keep you updated. I'm so excited!
Wonderful! We'll have to try this. :)
ReplyDeleteShelley! I am excited for you! I may need you to come to the library and do a class?
ReplyDeleteHow cool that they're learning to knit now! I wish I had learned at that age--think of what I'd know by now.
ReplyDelete