A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

Friday, March 8, 2013

Memere's Blueberry Muffins

One summer afternoon many years ago, I was a teenager or maybe I was twenty?  I sat at my Memere's kitchen island while she baked a batch of blueberry muffins.  I knew the recipe was her own, or maybe a variation of one she had read in a magazine or cookbook.  Although I doubt it, this recipe is not from anywhere but her brain.  She cooked from scratch always.  OK, on occasion she bought Kraft macaroni and cheese just so she could sprinkle the cheese on popcorn and the pasta was cooked for soup or some other dish.  I'm sure as the years went on she bought more processed foods but Kraft mac and cheese is the only one I can remember.  

She was the best cook.  She was a cook who could make anything without a single measuring cup, measuring spoon, food processor, or any fancy kitchen gadget.  She used drinking glasses to measure flour and would pour the right amount of ingredients into a bowl with the use of her eyes only.  Oh how I wish I could do the same.

Let's get back to the blueberry muffins shall we?  While they baked we talked, about what I cannot remember.  I do remember the warmth of her home and the love I felt just being with her.  I remember the smell of muffins baking.  I remember eating one right from the oven.  These muffins are so delicious and not in a sticky sweet way.  They are pure muffin and blueberry.  I know no other way to describe them.  I guess the best way would be to say they taste "old fashioned".   I asked her for the recipe, which I had done many, many, many, times before and was always told "oh you pour a "cup " of this, a "sprinkle" of that."  It never felt right (remember she used drinking glasses!) so I never wrote a single thing down.  However this time she guesstimated, and I wrote it down.  It couldn't hurt to try and I could always adjust it.

No need they are delicious!




Memere's Blueberry Muffins

400-degree oven

1-1/2 cups of flour
1/2 cup of sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup melted butter
a little more than 1/2 cup of blueberries (I take a palmful and throw those in after the 1/2 cup)

Toss everything in the bowl, minus the blueberries. Mix it up, fold in the blueberries, and pour into greased muffins tins or use paper liners.

Bake for 20 minutes.  I bake mine for 15 minutes because my oven runs hotter then the temp it's set at.


Today I took a bite of a muffin straight from the oven, and was transported back in time.  

4 comments:

  1. This looks like a great recipe. Blueberry muffins are one of my favorites--I lived on them the last few months that I was pregnant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I'll have to try these!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love saving/recreating/resurrecting old family recipes! These look great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They looked delicious ... What wonderful memories! Our Grandmothers were the BEST!

    ReplyDelete