I'm fascinated by art. Always was. I remember as a little girl pouring over the art of Dr. Seuss, and once seeing the sketches of Jim Henson and being captivated. Later, it was not only the individual pieces, but also the medium used, the process, the artists, the symbolism, really just about everything. I still crack open my art history book from college and although it weighs more then a small child, I could never get rid of it. I have to admit my art history course was my most favorite in school even over my early childhood courses, ahem. Anyway, once I heard of art therapy years ago, I was hooked on the idea of it. I could combine my two loves, working with children and art. I began pouring over everything I could find. I purchased quite a few books which are now on some ones bookshelf. (Never let a co-worker borrow your books!) My heart hurts every time I think about those books. I could easily replace them (and have them on my wish list) but they are expensive and I feel that they are not practical at this time for I am not an art therapist and should/would rather spend the money on what I'm doing now such as getting ready to raise chickens.
I remember using what little knowledge I did gain when the children I worked with would create pieces of art or even when they just pulled out some crayons and paper. What could I read in those "scribbles"??? What could I learn about these little people who made my days busy and full of life?
Later I would do the same with my own children.
Alas, I never did become an art therapist...
Maybe in my next life. Heck! Maybe even in this one. One never knows where the road will take us.
What interest/profession have you always had and dreamed of maybe one day doing?

What is it about art history classes? I took one as an elective and look what happened to me--a whole Ph.D.!
ReplyDeleteI have some art therapy books I would be glad to give you. It's quite a certification process, as I understand it, but I know you could do it if you decided to.
Thanks Jamie! I heard that too. So interesting though and would love to pursue it.
DeleteSometimes I just have so many ideas about what I could do with my life I feel young again. There just isn't time to do them all! Or money, as you point out. I sometimes think about opening a bed and breakfast. Or becoming an author. Or doing a PhD in education. (I might actually get around to that last one.) Maybe if you still want to become an art therapist you could set a goal to do one small course each year or half year?
ReplyDelete