I spent as much time with the kids as I could. Really listening with no distractions. Helping with homework. Not yelling. And then after the Newtown Massacre I was glad I had taken the time off from the computer and my blog. First, I would not have been able to handle all the news coverage, the pictures etc. and glad that the children were protected from it too. I was craving every minute with them. I needed them to be with me. I needed them to know they were safe. I was grateful there was no media related news for them to see. As for myself, I've never been more grateful to not look at a television screen or computer in my life.
Mostly because of what had happened, I also chose to add no television time during the day. No television and no computer freed up quite a bit of time and I was able to get much more done during the day. I'm ashamed to say how much of my time was spend or should I say wasted, looking at a screen (it can be so addicting, don't you think?)
During those weeks I was able to::
- Buy 5 houseplants!
- Complete my book goal of reading 70 books in 2012
- Make approximately 8 trips to the goodwill. We purged and organized the basement, playroom, and two dressers (in the boys bedrooms), and my scrapbook/craft area.
- Write in my journal everyday
- See my sister and Baby Bee a lot
- Plan meals and shop
- Have coffee with friends
- Tried again (unsuccessfully) to remove wallpaper in the kitchen. I think we're going to have to hire someone. Ugh.
- Kept the house clean and was caught up on the laundry
- Completed all Christmas shopping and preparations a week before Christmas!
- Scheduled appointments
However, I still did not craft! Crafting was one of the main things I was hoping I'd be able to do. That's what all that time staring at the computer was for, right? Looking for things to make and and do. But it's OK! The cleaning and organization will help me feel free to create without worry of all those other "things" that have to get done.
Will I go back to staring at those screens again you wonder? I'm thinking I can/will be able to continue on this path of less technology and less distractions. And maybe, just maybe, catch up on some scrapbooks and learn to sew my own clothes (which I may have mentioned here a time or two ;)
Ohmygosh...did you really read 70 books last year? I don't think I even read one book completely. So depressing! I miss reading :( You got so much done! That is totally awesome!!!
ReplyDeleteHi Lil,
DeleteYes, I did! Every year on Goodreads they have a a goal you can set for yourself. This year I'm going for 75!!
Good for you! It's so hard to "turn off the Pinterest" and actually start creating sometimes.
ReplyDeleteSo very very hard! I swear it's like a drug, no?
DeleteFantastic! Sounds like you are both enjoying yourself and getting things done.
ReplyDeleteIt feels great! And the best part is getting to redecorating the playroom/craft space.
ReplyDeleteHoly Moly 70 books in a year?! Since I only have time for maybe two or three... which ones were your favorite?
ReplyDeleteHI Mama! Here are a few I really enjoyed: Toward the end of the year I read the YA book The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, very good, some sadness so if you don't like sad I wouldn't read it. I also really enjoyed The Hunger Games Trilogy also YA, Gone GIrl by Gillian Flynn, The Kitchen Daughter by Jael McHenry, Watermark by Vanith Sankaran. Let me know if you choose any and what you think. Thanks for visiting!
Delete