We survived Sandy with no damage to our property, our home, or our ourselves. Thank goodness! We did lose power last Monday evening and were without till Saturday morning around 11:00. It was a very, very, very, cold week. I honestly was so upset we were in the dark again for so many days after only 14 months before when we were without power for 9 1/2 days. I couldn't help but think why can't they do this faster!! I was angry they got all the stores on Main street set up with lights and heat but families were freezing in their homes with no heat, no food, some without hot water, so no showers, some with wells, no water. Maybe get the homes back up and then the stores? I'm not talking about grocery stores and pharmacies but bakeries, pizza places, a store that sells fancy purses and Jewelry! Spend a few days to get most of the families set then put the power on for the purse joint. Maybe I'm being an idiot, I don't know. All I know is if this becomes the norm for us, we're in big trouble and posts like this one scare the hell out of me.
Please know I am not a bad person, I know this is not just about me and my cold feet. This is how I felt before I knew what happened outside my little town.
Because we were in the dark, with no access to the Internet or television, I had no idea how bad it was for others. It wasn't until Saturday that I saw the devastation. I feel so lucky I was only very cold. My home is still standing, my family and friends are still here with me. I hope all those who have been affected by Sandy get the help they need and can find some peace during this terribly devastating time.
Glad you guys have power now and are hopefully getting warmer! I don't think there's anything mutually exclusive about being both frustrated with your lack of electricity, while at the same time grateful that you still have a home standing.
ReplyDelete