A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

Friday, June 22, 2012

School's Out for Summer (but not forever, Thank Goodness!)

Wednesday was the last day of school and it has a been two days of busy fun filled goodness.  J and A both went to pool parties right after school on Wednesday (C and I joined J at his).  Yesterday both kids had a friend over to play and sleepover.  Today our guests will leave around 12:00 and I decided we will stay inside and chill out for the rest of the day.  They have been outside for two days straight in 90 degree weather with humidity that will melt your face off.  Up late last night (too late) and eating nothing but garbage.  (I on the other hand am still going vegan but more on that later)  Not to mention too much TV and video games.  I think today is a perfect day to stay inside with the AC and a good book.  We all brought home a good size pile of books from the library yesterday.   I'm just about finished with The Night Circus, now that I have some time, and will start The Historian probably tomorrow. 


The last days of school were tough for both of my kids.  They had an attachment to their teachers and the thought of not seeing them for quite sometime caused some anxiety.  A with sleepless nights and J with what he described as a lump in his throat. On the very last day I too was feeling some sadness.  Both teachers are wonderful and truly liked my kids and you know what?  I'm going to miss them too.  And now there is the anxiety of who will they get next year?   I wholeheartedly love the school the kids go to and every year they have had teachers that match them perfectly, but this year was the best one so far.  I'm still feeling some sadness today.  But I know, or I should say I'm pretty confident next year will be great too.


So now that summer has officially begun, we have lots planned.  The kids are each going to a one week themed camp, J is also going to a Basketball camp for a week, and two weeks of swimming lessons. We're going camping one weekend, going on Poppy's boat to see the fireworks and to the beach.  I'd love to make a list like Jamie did but I know my lazy butt will not be able to commit to it. So this is it for now.  It's going to go by so quickly and I want to enjoy it.  I want to take each day slowly even when there is lots of places to be, and driving to do. (Have I ever mentioned how I hate to drive? I do. I hate it.)  So I plan to go about this summer calmly and mindfully.  When it starts to feel overwhelming, I'll take a deep breath, tell myself it's OK to slow down, and plan better for the next day.


Here are some last day's of school photos.  (Sadly I was not able to get any of J because parent's sign up for parties and many teachers do no want younger siblings, which I find insulting and annoying, and with C home I missed his)
A's end of the year Ice Cream Sundae party


C getting a hug from his teacher.  She too is a great preschool teacher (my favorite of the three he had at his school.  shhhhh)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have some fun plans, but not too many of them--which always makes for a great summer in my book! We've only had to transition teachers once now, but it was really hard for me. We were madly in love with K's infant room teachers...although now we like the toddler room teachers a lot too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to hear more about staying vegan!

    And my long list is so I don't forget on those days when I can't remember any of our good ideas! Even today, we were going to melt our own crayons and then totally forgot until right before it started raining. :) But I'm very glad for the rain and the cooler weather because you were right--it would melt your face off! (Which makes me think of Indiana Jones.)

    ReplyDelete