Lucky me, I found volumes 1-8 and volume 10 at my local Library Book Sale!!!! You don't even want to know how excited I was! I brought them home and looked at each book page by page. They were published in the 70's and have a very 60's, 70's vibe. With pages on macrame, terrariums, batik, and homemade baby food.
Love, love, love.
This weekend I was flipping through them, looking for inspiration, not really looking for anything in particular, when I came across Breakfast Cookies.
From The Creative Family Workshop Volume 1:
It isn't always easy to interest young children in wholesome, nourishing food in the morning. One way to solve the problem is to make breakfast cookies from nuts and grains. They don't taste as sweet as commercial cookies, but they do provide much sounder nutrition. They contain honey and molasses, instead of sugar, dried fruits, whole grains, and nuts and milk for protein. A glass of milk and a handful of these cookies is a light breakfast, but it provides many of a child's daily nutritional requirements.
So true.....
- Blackstrap Wheat-Germ Cookies
- Delights
- Uncooked Peanut-Butter Cookies
And
- Sunflower Seed Cookies (which I made)
1/2 cup honey
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups whole wheat-flower
1/2 cup coconut shreds
1 cup sunflower seeds
Measure the oil into a mixing bowl, and beat in the remaining ingredients in the order listed. If dough is too thick, add more honey. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto oiled cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Makes 4 dozen
I think they are quite delicious and so does the family, which surprised me! It is true they are not very sweet but I found them to have just the right amount of sweetness. Honey and coconut will do that for you!
I will definitely be making these again. Why not? They are delicious, nutritious, and everyone liked them.

No comments:
Post a Comment