A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

Thursday, November 10, 2011

A Month Of Thanks

Because November is the month of giving thanks, I was trying to find some fun way for us to record what we are thankful for, as well as something I could be creative with.  Most times I find ideas on-line (as in this case) or from books, very rarely do I come up with things on my own.  This is mostly because I'm not that creative.  I'm OK admitting that.  I love the process of making things and for me it doesn't matter whether it is my own original idea, or if I am inspired or even copying someones awesomeness.  

While perusing the Internet looking for some ideas and inspiration on how we could record our thankfulness for this month, I came across this.  I screamed (in my head of course, otherwise I'd look insane) YES!  This is just the type of project I love.  I used some old scrapbooking supplies I've had for approximately 10 years.  Yes, 10 years.  (I'm getting better about not saving every craft item I have but for some reason I held on to this paper pack).  Glad I did because I thought it was perfect for this project.

I used a pack of index cards I bought at the dollar store years ago, bits and pieces of left over ribbon, the pack of paper mentioned before, and a set of "woodland" stamps given to me by my dear friend Danielle (who is the most generous with her craft supplies then anyone I've ever known).  I also made most of the envelopes myself using templates I found on-line.  I didn't save where I found them but if you google envelope templates and tutorials a million and one will come up.


So here it is.  And I love it.  I keep looking at it and thinking what fun!  It is super long.  I only did 24 envelopes which I'm thankful for because if I did an envelop for all 30 days in November I wouldn't have found a wall long enough to hang it on!  As it is, it's hanging from the walls on each side of the fireplace and tacked into the mantle!



Each night after dinner I ask everyone what they are thankful for and write it on the index card.  The kids have come up with some very heartfelt and some very silly things. The Husband is thankful for beer, wine and tequila.  After shooting fire at him through my eyes, he's beginning to be thankful for things other than alcohol.  I promise he is not an alcoholic, he just thinks he's funny.   I can't be too upset with him for I too am thankful for wine and wrote that a few days ago.  Hee hee.


Have you created a fun way to record what you are thankful for for this month?  Have you done something similar in the past, every year, or never at all?  This is our first year recording daily (or until Thanksgiving day!) 







5 comments:

  1. Love it!

    We have a "Thanksgiving Book" that we take with us wherever we have Thanksgiving each year--everyone we're with over the weekend writes something they're thankful for. It's been fun to watch the "regulars" change over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea. You're envelopes are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea & your envelopes with the woodland animals are sooooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the idea and agree that the woodland critter stamps are great.

    We don't have many pre-Thanksgiving rituals, but this reminds me of our pre-Christmas "Advent Activities" where I hand 24 little Christmas socks on a string over our mantle, each one with a simple activity for the day to lead up to Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Meryl. Thank you! I thought about doing a book also. I like the idea of a book because you can use the same one probably for several years and as time goes on you can have them lined up together on a shelf, so I like the "clean" idea of this. Am I making sense?? Thanks for stopping by.

    Hi Lil, Thank you. I too LOVE the woodland critters. It is my most favorite stamps to use right now.

    Hi Jamie, Thank you! Last year was the first year I made an advent calendar. The kids enjoyed it so much I'm planning to make another this year. I'll be posting it once I finish it. Do you use the same socks each year? Did you make them? Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete