A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

Thursday, October 13, 2011

"Green" Snack Bags

Quite some time ago, I mentioned here I wanted to or was going to make these cute little snack bags for the kids to use.  My main intention at the time (and still is) was to go a little "greener" and  discontinue using plastic sandwich bags.  I found a tutorial while reading another blog.  (I wish I could remember where but it's been so long)  I did however bookmark the actual tutorial which is from here.  

The bags are made of fabric and close with Velcro.  They are perfect for "dry" snacks.  One could use a "waterproof" fabric for inside such as oilcloth but I continue to come across information stating that such material is not safe for food storage.  There is a considerable amount of controversy  about how safe or unsafe the "waterproof" fabric is.  I decided to be safe then sorry and chose to use plain old cotton fabric.  Honestly, the kids prefer crackers and pretzels for snacks so cotton bags work perfectly well.

I made one to try out the tutorial and found they are so easy to make!  After I made the one, I cut the rest of my fabric, took a trip to Joann's for more Velcro, and I'm ready to make a bunch for the kid-a-roos! 



The fabric is from both a local quilt shop and Joann's.  I like to purchase the fat quarters for small projects, such as coffee cozies and now snack bags!  I also like to buy the fat quarters because the good people who put them together in bundles, match them so well, something I don't feel too confidant about.   Pirate theme for the boys and pretty, pretties for the girly girl.




The first one I made!  Pretty good for a practice one if I do say so myself.  A is especially excited about these and can't wait to use them.

I'll be back with my finished snack bags hopefully soon....



3 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see...I will probably need to make some of these soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're trying to go "waste-free" for lunch and snack at school. These bags are great! I found zipper bags at WF that hold the kids' apples, but now that you mention it, the fabric is probably that waterproof stuff; otherwise, they have the laptop lunch bento-style boxes. I saw on a blog once--maybe Beauty that Moves--that she makes cotton drawstring bags to hold her baked goods like loaves of bread and muffins. I liked that idea, esp because we just keep all of that in the microwave (which is a hassle)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. our school sold them as a fundraiser last year. I bought them but could use more. since they got LOST!!!

    ReplyDelete