A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Kitchen Reader - Blood, Bones and Butter


This months Kitchen reader pick is Blood, Bones and Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton chosen by Aileen from Pharmafoodie.

I'll start out by saying, I read this book quite some time ago and had to return it to the library so some of my review may not be completely accurate.  However, I do remember I enjoyed it.  One of my favorite types of books to read is a memoir and a memoir which includes food is a bonus (although this book has very little food in it compared to other memories such as Ruth Reichl's  Tender at the Bone)! 

Blood, Bones and Butter:

The story begins with Gabrielle's bohemian childhood, which includes parties full of delicious, homemade, and rustic food.  Spending nights outdoors under the stars and fetching beers and soda's for the guests from the stream in which they kept them to remain cold as ice.  I pictured myself living these scenes.  Although the author never really says why she choose food as a career I imagine it was from those experiences; watching her parent's cook, foraging mushrooms with her mom, eating foods many kids her age were not getting the opportunity to experience.  But I am only guessing.

Besides her childhood (before her parents divorce), my favorite scenes in her story were those she spends in Italy with her husbands family.  The landscapes, the foods, the gardens, love, love, love.  I longed to return there after reading her descriptions.  

However, this is not a book so much about food as it is about family, heartache, love, and relationships.  I wasn't inspired to cook or try a food I'v never had before because she describes it so deliciously, but it did make me feel as though I should value my family a little more.  Say I love you to my mom more often for not leaving me to fend for myself as a young girl and for being there each and everyday since.

If you enjoy memoirs, I recommend reading Blood, Bones, and Butter.

8 comments:

  1. I thought that, too: that this book is only partly about food. I found it gut-wrenching to read the section where Hamilton is desperately trying to become a part of her Italian family-in-law. And yes, I feel inclined to tell my parents how much I love them, and how glad I am that they are still together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, also: I love your new header! The colours are gorgeous. I'm using Safari and it's a bit big, though; the name of your blog is only partly above the fold. Maybe it can be moved up a bit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sarah. I too am using Safari (new laptop) and find Blogger and Mac do not work so well together. Do you have an trouble with your blogs? I will play around with it and see if I can fix. Thanks again.

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shelley, tomorrow when I get to work I'll have a look on my PC there and see what it's like. Just now I visited from my Android phone, where it looks fine because on the tiny screen the page is compressed and actually you can see further down the page--as far as the little dog's head!

    I did have to fiddle quite a lot with my header picture. I exported it from iPhoto about ten times in different sizes until I found one that fit perfectly with my blog's title. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that the memoir was not really about food, but that she paints a compelling picture of those scenes about family. Maybe we need to have a book club trip to Italy since it seems we all had similar thoughts on that front!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Stacy,

    Yes! That would be the best book club "get together" ever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved her descriptions about traveling and Italy as well.

    ReplyDelete