A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

Monday, March 14, 2011

Sunday Sweets, Bread, And A Little Bit Of Art


We didn't bake anything this week because we have boxes of girl Scout cookies and a bag a jelly beans (total impulse buy.  I just couldn't help myself!) I feel that we should eat what we have before we make more knowing I'll end up throwing something away and that never feels good.  I hate to throw away something that was perfectly good and delicious.

Sunday sweets are so much fun and the kids get a kick out of it, always asking what we are going to make or making suggestions of their own, getting their hands dirty and cracking an egg or two.  I don't want to deprive my children of the ooey gooey goodness of sweets, but I also do not want the focus of every meal we have or everything we bake, or prepare to eat be about the dessert or "treat".  This is a tough battle for me, a lover of sweets, but also a mom who wants her kids to be healthy. 

So that's my story about Sunday Sweets for this week.  Once we finish the Girl Scout cookies I'll be back with a SS post.  It should't be too long a wait with how fast the cookies are going!

And now for the bread!

(please ignore the gross pan.  I like to say it's seasoned)

I made Challah!  I was so excited about making this bread, it's one of my favorites, but it was difficult!  I'm not sure what I did wrong in the mixing stage but the dough never felt right.  I also did not do such a great job when rolling out the dough to make the strands for braiding.  They were too thick and too short.  It still baked up beautifully, although a  little more brown than I wanted and it tastes great, but I'd like to try this one again.

The braiding was a bit tricky too.  Thank goodness for technology because I watched a YouTube video of how to braid a six strand  Challah bread on The Husbands ipad right there on the kitchen counter!  I just followed right along.  I love YouTube. LOVE.  Here is the video

(there is a slice missing, of course!  I must always taste)

Because the bread is so large I decided tonight we'll have Challah Bread French Toast!  This way I can use the loaf before it stales.  And it's meatless!


Now for the art:
I love moments like this, when I see what's left behind.  Knowing they were busy creating and being kids.  

Be back later tonight or tomorrow with Meatless Mondays.

Challah Bread French Toast.

Can't wait!!!





1 comment:

  1. Like you, i am a lover of baked treats. It's difficult to balance my love of baking with healthy eating but it is all about the balance. The bread looks great. I love french toast for supper.

    ReplyDelete