I had some pictures to share with you but am having some technical difficulties. I must wait for The Husband for help. The pictures will be on tonight, I hope!
To avoid my own tears I will not go into a heart wrenching post about my Grandmother but instead will list some things I will always remember when I think of her . . .
- She was always in the kitchen
- She was a great cook and could make anything without a recipe
- She made the best grilled cheese sandwiches
- And the best cookies
- OK, all the food she made was the best!
- She was a great wife
- She was the best Grandmother
- Every morning she stood at the sink and looked out the window while she had her coffee. I always wondered what she was thinking about.
- She liked to gamble
- She loved to play cards, she taught me and we would often sit at the kitchen table and play for pennies!
- She loved to play Bingo (if I remember correctly, every week)
- She used her lipstick for blush
- She convinced me when I was a child that she was Darla on The Little Rascals
- She let me eat dessert before dinner
- She let me play in the "dirt pile" (this is what we called my Grandfather's soil for his landscaping business) with her kitchen spoons
- She let me shower in the rain
- She wouldn't use the phone during thunder storms and if it was a really bad one, she sat in the staircase. (it was in the middle of the house and she thought this would keep her safe)
- She liked country music
- She wore the worst 70's polyester clothes (but not when she went out, thank goodness!)
- She could sew and made her own dresses on occasion
- She knew how to crochet
- She knew how to knit and taught me
- She liked and collected ginger jars
- We watched The Love Boat and Fantasy Island together on Friday nights
- When we watched T.V. she would tickle my neck
- She washed her feet every night before she went to bed. I remember finding this strange, but now I kind of understand.
- She once let me take a sip of her vodka! (I think I was maybe 10!!)
- She survived 2 heart attacks (after her first, I spent the entire summer with her, caring for her)
- She was opinionated
- She once let me watch the Exorcist; I think I was 9 or 10. I'm still wondering about her decision to let that occur?!?! I didn't sleep for three months!
- When we went grocery shopping she always let me get one can of Chef-Boyardee (this was huge because everything she made was from scratch)
- She did her hair with curlers
- I loved to give her hugs (she was overweight and squishy!)
- I loved the way she smelled
- She loved me
Grandmother-grandchild relationships are simple. Grandmas are short on criticism and long on love.”
Author Unknown
No comments:
Post a Comment