I had an experience today I would like to share. It was an unfortunate and sad experience. I was at the pediatrician's office because J was not feeling well. We were in the waiting room with several other families. I was sitting reading a magazine, while J and C played with the few toys they have there. As the families were called in to see the doctors it become quieter and I could hear this woman "talking" to her child. I hadn't noticed them come in and wasn't sure who they were. My back was to them and I continued to read my magazine. In a low tone she began or had been berating her child. She was verbally abusing the kid. I will not go into details about what she was saying, just know it was awful. She made my skin crawl. I couldn't believe my ears. It was bad. (I stood up to get a new magazine and honestly to get a look at her and her child.) I even began to write a note to give to the receptionist, to get to a doctor ASAP, but my mind was torn between telling on this woman and staying out of her business. What was the right thing to do? I did the only thing I could do, and that was to tell someone. I decided to tell the doctor once he was done with J's examination. And tell I did. I had to. What if no one ever does? What does this child endure when no one is around? That poor kid. Isn't it the right thing to do? Would you have told?
Now I am no saint. I have not been the picture perfect mother. I have made many, many mistakes. But I do my best and I love my children. I listen to them and care for them and I love them and I respect them.
I ask you to love your children even when they make you want to pull your hair out. When you don't want to drive them to dance class or karate, or to the doctor's office because you would rather be home, or you have a meeting you have to go to, or you want to get your nails done.
Love them when they spill their milk for the tenth time in one day and ask you to make two more waffles, or when they draw on your walls with crayons, and the million other things kids do. That's just it, that's what kids do. Remember they are only kids once, they are learning, they need appropriate limits, guidelines, and discipline. They need compassion and most of all, love.
No comments:
Post a Comment