A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Rain, Rain, Stay for Today

It is not often that I or the husband get to spend time with just one of our children.  A chance for us to talk without interruption and a chance for them to get all the attention.  It gives him/her time to talk about everything and anything.  And to feel special and know he/she is loved.

The kids and I get the chance to be alone here and there.  It is rare, but when we do, I try to make it fun.   I give them my undivided attention and I let them do and eat and watch things I normally wouldn't allow!!

Yesterday A and I were home alone.  We were in the kitchen talking, and my mind was racing with all the things we could do.  While we were talking,  I was also straightening up the kitchen when I picked up a bag of stale bread I had put aside to throw out to the birds.  And a light bulb when off in my little brain!  She would love to put this outside in the rain!

So I let her go outdoors in the pouring rain.  And I don't think she could have been happier.  I sent her out with her coat on, a pair of rain boots and a bag full of stale bread.  I sent her out with a mission to spread the bread out for the birds, knowing in my heart that this task would soon turn into an adventure she would love.  (I watched her from the doorway because of course I will melt!)

I knew she would love it, because ever since I put that first crayon in her hand she has loved to be messy.  Markers, finger-paint, clay, if it can make a mess she will be content.

I often thought since she was a toddler that she may have/had some sensory intergration issues.  It had dawned on me when I witnessed her on several occasions "swim" in the sand.  She would rub it up and down her arms and lay in it "swimming". (She would lie on her tummy and move her body as if making snow angels.)  With play dough she would do the same rubbing on her skin. 

Being an early childhood teacher for more than 18 years I knew she was not having difficulty functioning as a typical child, she just needed a little extra stimulation every now and then.  So the husband and I did our best to provide her with many sensory experiences.

And although she is over six years old, I know she sometimes still needs this extra sensory stimulation.

I knew being outdoors in the wind and rain would be right up her alley!!!













"The child must know that he is a miracle,
that since the beginning of the world there hasn't been,
and until the end of the world there will not be,
another child like him."

Pablo Casalas



**My crafty sewing post next - I wanted to share this with you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment