A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

Friday, January 8, 2010

Knitting Dairy Day 2 :: 1 Year Knitting!

I can not believe I self-taught myself how to knit just one year ago.  Although I say self- taught, my Memere taught me when I was young, somewhere around 7 or 8 years old.  However, as I grew I lost the skill of knitting.  My interests changed and I dabbled in other crafts throughout the years.

I would sit with my Memere on her gold flowered couch (today it would be considered highly valuable for its vintage appeal) and she would give me her scrap yarn and a pair of her aluminum needles.  She showed me how to cast on and knit.  I can remember knitting nothing but long strips.  I guess if I had shown more interest she would have taught me more stitches and maybe how to take those long strips of yarn and make a scarf or something out of them!  I can remember the satisfaction of working the needles and yarn during the long days of summer I spent with her. 

Last year during the kids holiday break I decided to try to learn again.  It was the influence of all those crafting mamas out there whose blogs I had been reading for months.  They were making beautiful knitted pieces and passing them on to their children and I thought to myself, "I want to do that".  So I picked up a pair knitting needles and a learn how to knit book, and it just wasn't clicking.   Then I thought if I could watch someone knit, it might come back to me?  I had always been a visual learner, learning best by seeing it done.  So I turned to the Internet.  Would there be a YouTube video out there?  Of course there was!  Is there not a YouTube video about everything?  And I mean everything?! EEK!


Anyway, I found one here.  I watched it over and over again with a ball of yarn and a pair of size 9 knitting needles.  And as I watched and knitted along with the video it all came back to me.  I remembered sitting on that couch and learning how to knit so many years ago. 


And here I am one year later, making baby blankets, scarves, hats, leg warmers, and more!  I've learned many stitches, how to knit in the round, and turn my work.


I have more yarn, books, saved patterns and knitting needles than I have room for.  (Remember I am a bit obsessive compulsive when it comes to my hobbies and interests!)

Holy yarn Batman!

Here are some of my books. (I am looking away in shame)

This does not include my circular needles!

Thank you A for taking this picture for me!  Not bad for a 6 year old.  However, I ask you to please not run away screaming from the monstrous zit on my neck.  I mean really, who gets zits like that on their necks?

Tomorrow, pictures of my first knitting projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment