A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Spring Break Part 1




(Old spot)
(New spot)




Spring Break started off wonderfully with a beekeeping class where I learned how a hive works, about the Queen, drones, the life cycle, how they build their hive, how to remove the honey, and so much more.  I also had a small sip, (or two) ahem, of honey mead and when it was over, we ordered our hive and bees which will be installed this coming Saturday!  It's not at all difficult to keep bees, the care and maintenance is minimal and they are a very docile creature, unless of course you piss them off!

The rest of the weekend, and a little each day, has been dedicated to preparing our gardens (we decided on 4 raised beds).  Finding the perfect spot for the hive and coop for the ladies who are growing so fast!  They are trying out their wings more and more each day,  flying up and across their brooder.  Its truly is an amazing experience to watch their growth and behavior.  

Each year I learn a little something new about gardening as with any project or hobby.  This Spring I realized I may have started my seeds a little too early.  Maybe a month or so early.  New England Springs are too cold for too long.  It's OK though, I'll continue to put them into bigger pots until I can get them in the ground.  I have to say I have experienced much joy from watching the seeds burst through the soil and grow right before my eyes.  Sometimes it's the little things that can bring so much joy, isn't it?

And then there was the bombing in Boston.  When will we, as a nation learn?  Why do I have to live in fear everyday?  What is wrong with people?  Why do people have to die?   Why an 8 year old?  It seems unfair and its just plain wrong.  I fear for my children going to school after Newtown and now I'll fear being in any public place with them.  The mall, a carnival, a craft fair on the green, the farmers market?  Really?  Is this how we are going to have to live?  Man, I hope they get that bastard. The little peace, the one ray of hope I have, is that these events are rare, but will they continue to be???  My one little word Faith is a hard one for me this year, and it's only April. 

Tuesday was my Birthday!  The kids made me cards, I'm getting a new coffee maker after my just purchased, very expensive one stopped working!!!  I haven't picked it out yet.  Beautiful flowers in a really cool vase from Baby Bee, Coffee at Nana's and a slice of Nana's famous chocolate cake (that's what the kids call it because they LOVE it), we went and played miniature golf, duck pin bowling, went out to lunch, and came back home to work on the garden beds.  

Wednesday we had Breakfast with Grandpa, finally dropped off the blankets from Project Linus, stopped at a big box craft store for yarn J needs for these masks they are making in art class.  While we we there A got a bee in her bonnet and was going crazy for some of the patterns there and asking me over and over again, to make her this and that!  Well I couldn't help it!  We bought three patterns and she picked out fabric.  We'll give it a try.  I have to start some time and it's been years of wanting to sew clothes as you know, but I get so scared of failing.  Especially when something is expensive or may be wasted because I don't know what I'm doing!  But if I don't finally try I'll never know.  Right?  After coming home to finish getting the last raised bed in the ground we went to a carnival in town.  The kids have such a blast and poor Daddy has to go on all the rides with C because I can't go on rides any more without vomiting.  Oh the joys of getting old.

Four days left before the kids go back to school and The Husband goes back to work.  We have no specific plans to do anything special but we do have lots of errands to get done!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a very nice week full of accomplishments!! Boy those kids have grown so fast, from one post to the other! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful week! And happy, happy birthday--how did I miss that? I'll take you out for a birthday lunch soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Shelley! I love your chickens & your raised beds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to hear about the bees!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shelley, it sounds like a wonderful week. You decided on a new spot for the beds!? Can't wait to see all your hardwork.

    ReplyDelete