One of our goals this summer was to visit the library weekly. Before making our weekly trips, we would each think about what it was we were looking for, what books interested us, what did we feel like reading? I made this rule because I lose my patience when we go and the kids stand there telling me they don't know what to pick out. So before we leave the house, we each must have an idea of what we are looking for and/or a list of books we know we want to read. (including myself!) I'll offer suggestions, we visit Nerdy Book Club , as well as some other sites I can't think of right now, and take suggestions from friends too.
A reads most things, she enjoys books with main characters who are girls and books with everyday situations/problems. Always ready with a list in hand. Each trip she came home with 4 - 6 books.
J chooses book about what interests him in the moment. This summer it was mainly Greek Mythology and Super Heroes. Each trip 1-2 books.
C does not read yet but chooses chapter books (the same he's seen his brother read or own). He can not read them, but I don't argue. He makes his choices and is happy, it's all I can ask for. (we do read to him age appropriate books every night before bed) Each trip he'll bring home 2-3 books.
We encourage reading. We are constantly bringing books into our home. The Husband and I are never without a book. We've been reading out loud to the kids since they were babes. And it shows. It shows in J and A's work, their grades, their level of reading, and through the vocabulary they use during everyday conversations. (C will learn to read this year when he enters Kindergarten in one week. AHHHHHH!!) I can't tell you how proud and happy this makes me. One of my "mom dreams" was to have kids who were readers. And I think my dream has come true. Yet I still have nightmares of them not reading or never picking up a book as a teenager or an adult. Believe me, that would devastate me!!! And it may become reality. But for now I can bask in the glory of my readers.
image source found here
This is not our Book Worm, our Book worm is much cuter!
Although all my children enjoy books and do well with reading, A is the Book Worm of the summer.
Here is the list of the books she's read since the last day of school to today:
(and I think we may have missed a few)
- Little Genie Make a Wish
- Little Genie Double Trouble (Little Genie books by Miranda Jones)
- The World According to Kaley by Dion Curtis Ryan
- Julie Saves the Eagles
- Happy New Year Julie
- Julie's Journey
- Julie Tells her Story
- Changes for Julie (all the Julie books are written by Megan McDonald)
- Happy New Year Mallory
- Mallory's Super Sleepover
- Campfire Mallory
- Mallory on Board
- In Business With Mallory
- Mallory vs Max
- Back to School Mallory (Mallory books are written by Laurie B. Friedman)
- Katie Batter Up (Cupcake Diaries) by Coco Simon
- Just Grace
- Just Grace Walks the Dog (Grace books written by Charise Meircle Harper)
- Not So Weird Emma Sally Warner
- When You Reach Me by Rebecca Steed
Wow! I am so impressed. Maybe I shouldn't be, I have no one, and nothing, to compare the list to. But 20 books and counting is quite impressive in my eyes!
No comments:
Post a Comment