Day 4: Leaves
Day 5: Morning Sky??
No morning sky. I couldn't get out of bed in time because I was up past 1:00 am. Please read below for my reasons for being up so late. (I'll try to capture the sky tomorrow.)
This is a story made of (my) nightmares....
Yesterday as tradition, we went to Nana's for a picnic and then on the boat to see the fireworks. We left around 6:00 and enjoyed a leisurely time checking out other boats, watching children jumping into the water, talking, taking pictures, and having some snacks.
Around 9:00 when the sky was just dark enough the show began. We ooh and ahhed, and took lots of pictures.
Then just as the finale ended, the rain and lightening began. Poppy made his way back to the dock following the line of other boats. As we approached the area where it becomes a narrow passageway to dock the boats, there was a backup as the boats must go very slow before docking. Lots of boats means much slower than usual. However, we could see something was not quite right. Boats were going off course! As we got closer to the boats having trouble we could see why; the tide was coming in, and with the storm a strong current began swirling in a whirlpool. THIS is what was causing boats to go off course. Mind you this is an area full of rocks, an area where you need to stay in the center as you drive your boat in. A COMPLETE AND TOTAL NIGHTMARE. Our boat was getting pushed out of line and turned around. We were approaching rocks! Swirling around! Children crying! My mother losing her marbles! OH MY GOD, I have never been so scared in my entire life. All day I have tried to think of a time I was more scared than last night. Can't think of a thing.
What it felt like:
In actuality:
This my friends, is why I was up late. I could not sleep after that. I laid in my bed imagining what could have happened. Feeling the fear over and over again. Thankfully sleep finally came and today I feel better about the whole thing, but I don't think I will be going on a boat any time soon. Maybe next 4th of July? Maybe?
P.S. Poppy did an amazing job keeping us safe. He knew just what to do. He was calm and steered the boat with all his might to keep us safe and thankfully back to dry land. Thank you Poppy!!!

Ohmygosh, that is scary!!! Glad everyone is safe.
ReplyDelete