Day 23 - 30 and Days 1 - 4
(here I explained why I started on day 5)
Hurricane Irene put a bit of a damper on my continual posting of the 30 Day Mom Challenge but I'm back to write about the last 13 days. This whole experience truly did teach me more then I ever thought.
Day 23: Replace sarcasm with kindness.
Sometimes I use sarcasm to be silly but more often because they said or did something and my first reaction was to be sarcastic. When I was focusing on how I responded to their comments, questions, etc. I realized how often I am sarcastic to them. Poor kids. This day taught me to respond with more understanding, compassion, and to just talk to them like I would want to be spoken too.
Day 24: Do not interrupt your child when he is talking.
This is a super tough one. Those of you who spend time with children know that sometimes when they are telling you a story it can go on and on. Often younger children have a hard time getting all those thoughts out in one continuous stream and there is a lot of "ums" and other pauses. This can be truly frustrating especially in our fast paced world where we have so much going on in our lives we feel there is no time to sit and take the time to listen to our kids with that huge pile of laundry and all those errands that need to be done. So we help them along, right? Maybe we shouldn't? Maybe we should take that time and let them speak. Give them the respect you would expect when you are talking to someone.
Day 25: Ask your child's opinion sometime today.
I always ask A to give me her opinion about outfits and shoes and she does! It's really cute when she looks at my clothes and tilts her little head and makes this "hmmmm" sound while she decides. I love it!
Day 26: Make it a point to encourage your child today.
I think this is one thing that I am good at. I want the kids to feel that they can do anything and that they are good enough to try. I encourage them always.
Day 27: Do one thing that is good for your health: walk 10 minutes, eat a piece of fruit, or get a good night's sleep.
I signed up for and participated in Heather's 30 day Vegan Workshop. It's a challenge for sure to eat vegan when you really have never done it before, but honestly it makes you feel so great physically. No animal product makes you feel lighter and fuller and well, just good!
Day 28: Teach your child a new word.
It's hard not to teach them new words when they are always inquiring about what this and that is. Even when I say a word they haven't heard before they ask me what it means. I think everyday they are learning a new word. It's hard not to when you are that inquisitive!
Day 29: Turn off your phone, computer or TV today when your child is with you.
This was an easy one since we had no power for 9 days and no cell service for about 3 of those days.
Day 30: Today's focus: Love
What more can I say?
Day 1: Ask: "What is one thing we can do together this month?"
This month we are going to a local apple festival. Yum!
Day 2: Go the whole day without yelling at your children.
On a normal day this might have been hard for me but since we had no power on this day and the kids played outside from sun up to sun down, there really was nothing to yell about. They played so well and had such a nice time. The fresh air did them good so no one cranky or fresh. So what's there to yell about??
Day 3: Hug your child three times today.
Lots and lots of hugs. I need to do this more, especially with the older two. It seems as they get older there are less hugs and cuddling. How sad!
Day 4: Kiss your child while they are sleeping.
I've done this while they were babies because who couldn't kiss those cute little baby faces?! However I can't remember doing it while they were older. I did it and it was sweet!
Oh, that day 24--that is a hard one, isn't it? Like you though, I love the idea of teaching new words. It would be kind of fun to do a "word a day" once the Kid gets old enough to, you know, talk. ;)
ReplyDelete