A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Look What I Made!


My first appliqued project.

This is an Owl not a cat

J said "Oh you tried to make a cat but it didn't work so you turned it into an owl."  Thanks J for that vote of confidence.


This tote bag was made for my Goddaughter's Christmas present.  A little sewing to decorate the bag and a pile of books to fill it.  I found the template for the Owl and Elephant here

This project proved to be a challenging one.  Although I have dabbled in sewing for many years I am still quite the novice.  This one was a doozy!  As I was planning it, it never once crossed my mind it would be hard.  I have made a quilt for goodness sake, how hard could sewing on a couple of cut pieces of fabric to make a picture be?  HARD I TELL YOU!  HARD.

The canvas is unruly and the itty bitty pieces of fabric get all bunched up and I realized I can't sew a straight line or even a curved one!  I had to rip it out many, many, many times before it looked decent enough to carry out in public.

It is not perfect.  Far from it!  But I love it.  And now that I have some experience sewing on canvas and creating decorative pictures with fabric, there will be more in the future.

As I mentioned, this was to be a Christmas present.  It is now March and I just finished it! I did give her the books and showed her the bag, now I can finally give it to her. I hope she may use it for her trips to the library, or sleepovers, or whatever she likes!

Off to deliver the bag to the wee one.

2 comments: