A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Around Here . . .

  • A nondisplaced fracture. (A crack in the bone but the bone stays in place.  Does that make any sense?)
  • A very physical three year old who is now limited.
  • A couple of very sad grown ups.
  • A couple of completely clueless grown ups who have no idea how or when this happened.
  • A brother and sister who think he is so cool because he has a cast.
  • A very tired mommy who has to carry said three year old (who is now two pounds heavier) because he hasn't quite gotten the hang of it.
  • A very, very, brave little three old boy.

As I mentioned we have no idea how or when this happened.  C woke on Monday morning and was complaining of pain in his right leg.  This is not unusual.  He has said this in the past but it will stop hurting once he gets up and moving.  I usually contribute it to growing pains or the way he slept.  However this time my gut told me something else was going on.  It was the way he was moving or not moving. 

I made an appointment to see the Dr. first thing.  He sent me for blood work and an x-ray.  The blood work was to check for Lyme disease, rheumatoid arthritis, inflammation etc.  Because I was alone and was not looking forward to taking him for blood work I decided to take him for the x-ray first - the least invasive.  Well thank goodness I did, because he was diagnosed with a nondisplaced fracture. 

Next stop the orthopedic. 

Once there the Dr. looks at the x-ray and says "He needs a cast."  Me in my head - "Um what?"  So I ask the Dr. "How big will the cast be?"  Dr.'s response "His whole leg."  Now my head screams "Um what!?!?!?!?"

Anyway, they put the cast on and the poor little thing was so brave and strong.  He said several times no cast and his little cheeks where red because he was trying so hard not to cry.  How sad is that?  This little person whose speech is delayed, who even if he explained his feelings we would have a hard time understanding.  The baby of our family who did not shed a tear.  And he wanted to, he really did.  It was those red cheeks and sad eyes that told me so.

The cast stays on for three weeks, it will then be taken off and his leg x-rayed again.  Depending on how it looks, the cast will stay off or a new one will be put on.  We shall see.

It will be a physically challenging three weeks for him and me.  But it will be three weeks full of cuddling and lots of kisses and hopefully for him memories of a loving mommy and daddy.



1 comment:

  1. I hope your son is doing well...poor little boy :( Best wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete