A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

A blog dedicated to my Memere who lovingly called me her little chickadee

Friday, November 20, 2009

Washcloths for the Babes



I like simple projects and because I am a bit impatient I want quick results. Hence the washcloth, because nothing is quicker then knitting a 12 x 12 square!

On a recent shopping trip to a Big-Box store I picked up some Sugar'n Cream self striping 100% cotton yarn. Choosing wisely, for each chickadee has their favorite color. The blue washcloth is the most simple knitting pattern known to man, the garter stitch, made for J. The white one with the purple, blue, and yellow is a stockinette stitch with a seed stitch border, made for A. And the green and white one is knit using the mistake rib, made for C.

I presented the washcloths to the children on Wednesday night. I wish I had my camera in reach because you would not believe how excited they were about a handmade washcloth! Both A and C rubbed the washcloths on their faces feeling the soft cotton.

It is moments like this that make me long for simpler things. Homemade washcloths and toys made by hand. Cooking at home and less time in busy stores buying plastic toys and washcloths made by machines. I do not snub my nose up at such things because you will still find me purchasing said items. I do not have the time nor the money it would take to begin making everything by hand, but I will do my best to create some homemade goodness in our lives. I know my family will cherish it now and later.

I remember with so much love in my heart when my Memere made me doll clothes and afghans. I still have them today and when I see them, touch them, even smell them, it is her and her love I see and feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment